Recommend me to your friends

Friday 7 June 2013

Escalator etiquette

I know it may seem a bit of a strange topic for someone writing a cruise blog but as I commute to work each day escalator etiquette, (or lack of it), is something that I see daily and whilst it may only be a, (very), minor annoyance for me, if you're at a cruise terminal, or even worse an airport, it can have big consequences on your journey.
Read on and let me know what you think; am I just being pedantic or does this bug you as well?

When you travel on an escalator I think you should stick to the right hand side of the stairs, (or at least the side that everyone else is on).
That means that if anyone else coming up behind you is late for work, (or a flight if you're at an airport), they have room to move past you in a rush.
What drives me crazy, (and I might be over-stressing things a little there), is when a couple or even worse a large group of people are standing next to each other so you can't get past.
Escalators aren't the quickest mode of transport out there and whilst waiting for a minute or two to get to the top might not seem that big a delay, for anyone who's ever been rushing to catch a train, (or a flight), you'll know it can make a huge difference.

What do you think? Am I just being pedantic over a very minor issue or do you agree? Do you stand behind the person you're travelling with or are you one of the people I spend my morning commute mumbling to myself under my breath about that stands next to their friends on an escalator, leaving no room for the rest of us to rush past?

Let me know what you think here.

Happy cruising

4 comments:

  1. I agree, there is nothing more annoying than waiting behind a line of people when you are in a rush - especially when trying to catch the last train home!!

    Although you said stick to the right and in school etc. I have always learnt to stick to the left, so in the same way unless there were notices displaying such a rule, I'm sure winding in and out of people will be just as frustrating and time consuming as waiting behind them.

    I guess taking the stairs (if there is the option to do so) is the best way to avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left or right side; I'd be happy if people just picked one side and stuck to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree but really hate people who get to top/bottom of escalator and stop while they get their bearings or to talk - why not move out of the way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick to the left always.
    This is just the same as people who stand in a doorway to chat. It makes my blood boil but I am usually too polite to say anything other than excuse me!

    ReplyDelete