Recommend me to your friends

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Are Disney cruises sexist?

I saw this complaint letter on the Internet earlier, (someone actually sent it to me as a joke), and I wasn't sure whether to take it seriously or not, I wasn't sure if it was a spoof. However, joke or not, it does raise a good point so I thought I'd share it with you to see what you thought.......


I always thought Disney cruise lines were perfect for all the family but are the characters on a Disney ship orientated more towards little girls? Certainly when I think Disney I picture the big fairy princess castle and the Tinkerbell logo but surely on their cruise ships they will have catered for both boys and girls?
What do you think?
Have you cruised with Disney before? Or been to one of their theme parks? Would you agree with Ethan's letter to Disney? Do you agree that Disney is a much more appropriate holiday for girls or can both genders enjoy themselves at the Magic Kingdom?

Let me know what you think here.

Happy cruising

1 comment:

  1. The letter is not a spoof, it was written by my son shortly after our Mid-January cruise on the Dream.

    We all enjoyed the cruise very much, and they definitely cater to the family experience. That said, the tilt toward little girl experience was noticable. While I wouldn't categorize it as sexist, at least not intentionally, we did spend a lot more time waiting in line to with my daughter to get pictures taken with Princesses far more often than we waited in line for a similar experience for my son. His highlights were a picture with Goofy and having a souvenier signed by the captain.

    Jack Sparrow actually did make an appearance on Pirate night, but the window of time to see him was short. That contrasts to the last night when there were 3 separate hour blocks where you could go and interact with 4 princesses at a time. Captain Hook also made an appearance, but to be fair, he's actually a villan.

    Little girls routinely wore their princess dresses to dinner, and if you forgot to pack yours, there was a whole shop on the ship devoted to the princess experience. The experiences appropriate for boys came across as gender neutral.

    This should all be kept in perspective, though. The cruise gets an A from the whole family. My son just saw that a few more princes would have made it an A+, and we saw a chance to teach him how to turn a frustration into a positive. We plan to do the theme park in the future, so hopefully it will be a more balanced experience.

    ReplyDelete