Recommend me to your friends

Thursday 29 April 2010

Should I stay or should I go?

If I cruise there may be trouble, but if I stay will it be double?
So, you’ve never cruised before, you’ve always toyed with the idea but always thought it might be too expensive, or that you were too young. Your friends finally talk you into it, then you go and watch Titanic again and Leanardo DiCaprio persuades you not too. What should you do?


The following is a short summary of some of the major pros and cons of cruising. I have tried to be as honest as I can, but obviously I’m biased as I love to cruise so feel free to comment and disagree with me or even to add something you feel I’ve missed.





So, cons first

I only have one day in port, how am I supposed to see everything? The simple answer is you won’t. Most major destinations, Rome for example, weren’t built in day so you will never be able to see all of it, but on the other hand you won’t get a chance to get bored either.

I’m in a ship; I’m only going to be able to see the costal regions. Again, true cruise liners, for obvious reasons are limited to visiting coastal cities, although most companies will arrange coach trips inland for the day on request.

I never really get a ‘feel’ for the places I visit. Because of the short nature of the visits you won’t get the same ‘sense’ of a place as you would if you were staying in the same locals village for two weeks.

I’m worried about being sea sick the whole time. Whilst it’s true some people to suffer from sea sickness, it’s normally only for the first day until you have ‘got your sea legs’. And, if the problem does persist there is a whole host of remedies ranging from the traditional to the modern in the form of tablets and injections.

Won’t I be really cramped in my cabin? On average you will find the cabins are slightly smaller than their land based counterparts, however you will be spending so little time in your room the issue never really comes up, and if you are still worried you can always consider paying that little extra to upgrade.

Alcohol is never included in the all inclusive packages. This is true; many land based packages do come with selected biers and spirits included with the price, but with so much to do on and offboard who wants to have a hangover all the time?

I can never find a quite spot too myself! Cruises can be noisy places, depending on which cruise liners you book with, but if it’s a quite secluded trip you’re looking for, mention this to us and we will make sure we find the right ship for you.

Everything’s so regimented. This can be a problem for some people. You have to visit the ports on the cruise lines schedule, not your own. If your looking to just chill on a beach for two weeks maybe cruising isn’t for you.

That being said, here comes my favourite part, the pros of cruising.

Cruises are great value for money. Once you have factored in your cruise itself, the food, the entertainment, and a whole host of free extras the day by day cost of a cruise almost always works out cheaper than its land based equivalent.

Cruises are more relaxing. You get on board, unpack and then just let the captain take you where he will, no more flying, no more driving and definitely no more ‘are we nearly there yet.

I always feel so much more pampered on a cruise. Comparing the star ratings of a cruise to an equivalent land based holiday the standards of service are usually much higher and the crew much more attentive.

The food is delicious. I can’t stress this enough. All cruise lines to a greater or lesser extent pride themselves on their food with almost all cruise lines hosting a least one menu designed by a michellin starred chef.

Look at all the places I can visit. With a cruise you can visit up too ten different destinations in 10 different counties in one holiday, whilst only having to unpack your suitcases once! It would take you years to see the same amount of places on a land based package.

No hidden extras. Because it is all inclusive on board you can see and budget for the entire cost of the trip ahead of time, with no nasty surprises like running out of cash halfway through your holiday.

It’s a lot harder for the office to catch you on a cruise. A cruise really is a floating palace, when your out at sea you don’t have to do anything but relax no friend/family/ work problems catching up with you all the time.

So I hope you will find this helpful, and more importantly, honest. Feel free to comment to add an opinion whether you agree or disagree with something I said, or you think I’ve forgot something, and as always

Happy cruising.

No comments:

Post a Comment