Recommend me to your friends

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Will Muslims say no to P&O?

I was booking a P&O cruise for a client late last Friday when he asked me if P&O would be ok to serve him and his wife Halal, (food suitably prepared for Muslims), food on the cruise. Assuming this wouldn’t be a problem as I had done the same with other cruise lines I went ahead and booked the cruise for him.
Calling P&O first thing Monday morning to add the request I was shocked to discover this wasn’t a dietary request they offered on any of their ships.
Now I realise this situation isn’t quite the same as say, someone who is violently allergic to nuts, or who may be diabetic or have lactose intolerance; But, for a lot of cruisers this could be a big issue. Now if that had of been the extent of the issue I probably wouldn’t of thought much more about it, but I found out that P&O do offer Kosher, (food suitably prepared for Jews), meals on all of their ships.
The issue isn’t just with P&O either, none of their sister cruise lines, Cunard or Princess cater for Halal, but again all are happy to serve Kosher food.
So what’s the difference? Why cater for one religion but not another? Have any of you run into this problem before, or had better or worse experience with another cruise company? Is this a big issue or not really a problem?

Let me know what you think

1 comment:

  1. According to the P&O website they do offer Halal food but it must be pre-ordered through the catering department, which is as it should be.
    I am one the people who object to being fed food prepared according beliefs of others and think such food should be clearly marked as what it is. My beliefs are as important to me as those of a Muslim, Jew, Vegan or Vegetarian are to them

    ReplyDelete