Recommend me to your friends

Saturday 16 October 2010

Obstructed Views - Yay or Nay?

It happens quite often that someone, looking for a last minute deal, will turn up there nose at a cabin with an obstructed view. But what is an obstructed view? What’s obstructing it? Why is it obstructing it? And are there any pros or cons to an obstructed view? Fingers crossed I will try to answer some, if not all of those questions here, (with simple to understand pictures as well, because I’m just that helpful).
So question number one; what exactly is an obstructed view?
Quite simply an obstructed vie cabin is a cabin with an outside view of the ship, (outside, balcony or suite) with something in front of your window obstructing your view as the world goes by.

Well, what’s obstructing it then?
That ones even easier to answer; it will be a lifeboat, normally hanging about four or five feet from your window/balcony.

Well why has the cruise line placed them there then?
Unfortunately there isn’t anywhere else to put them. The ship is obviously constructed with all cabins on the outside hull having a view, weather it be a balcony or an ocean view. The lifeboats and all the lifeboat mechanisms are then added at the end and they do have to be dangled in front of some of the cabins. But I’m sure you’d much rather the ship had the lifeboats than a couple of extra rooms have a view. Wouldn’t you?

I get the cons, but are you telling me there are pros to booking an obstructed view?
I am. And I don’t even think the cons are that bad either. It all depends as to what you want your room for. Whenever I sail I tend to book an ocean view. I don’t spend enough time in my room to make a balcony cabin worth the extra but I don’t like to stop in an inside cabin because I miss my natural daylight, (If I wake up I like to be able to tell if it’s day or not without having to switch all the lights on and check my watch). For anyone in the same boat as me, (excuse the pun), then an obstructed ocean view can offer you some great savings, and you still get all the natural daylight you want. If I want to enjoy the view I can just go up on deck.
Obviously for people looking to spend more time in their room, particularly in a balcony cabin than an obstructed view really could spoil things and you may wish to consider paying the extra to avoid it.

OK, I think I got all that but what does an obstructed view actually look like before I book one?
Well, being the helpful chap that I am I’ve included some pictures here of different obstructed views for you to check out before you make up your minds.

An Inside Cabin with No View.
A partially obstructed view
A view obstructed by the lifeboat machinery, note with this view you can see that little bit extra.
This is a fully obstructed view - note you still get plenty of daylight.

And finally, a completely unobstructed view for you to compare.

So did that help? Have you ever stopped in an obstructed cabin before? Would you consider it now? Let me know here.

Happy Cruising

1 comment:

  1. I have just come back from the Queen Victoria and had an obstructed view cabin and we loved it. We usually book a balcony but have come to the conclusion we are hardly in the cabin so why pay the extra. We had a life boat in front of the window but it did not block out any light and my husband says he thought it was the best cabin we have had in 6 cruises on Cunard

    ReplyDelete