Recommend me to your friends

Monday 22 November 2010

No thanks Freds, we’re British!

Sad news today I'm afraid. Another paragon of British cruising has decided to follow our American cousins example of compulsory tipping. Now I know I’ve been back and forwards on this subject more times than I can count but it looks like we’re going to gave to give it one more go.
Every time I’m onboard a cruise ship I always end up thinking to myself, “yeah you know what, these guys work really hard, they deserve their tips”. Then after I’ve been home a couple of weeks I start thinking, “why should I? Why don’t the cruise lines just pay their staff a decent wage in the first place?”
Well no matter which side of the fence you’re on another cruise line has jumped on the gratuities bandwagon and taken that decision away from you.
And this time it’s Fred Olsen.
I’m actually quite shocked by this. I don’t mind compulsory tips from an American cruise liner, (as much), because tipping is part of the American culture, it’s expected and their staff are paid accordingly. But Freds have always been a bastion of ‘Britishness’ so for them to start imposing compulsory tips is quite a shock.
Their official statement reads;

At Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, we are proud of the overwhelmingly positive feedback that our staff on board receive for the quality of the service they provide. Traditionally our passengers like to show their appreciation by means of a tip at the end of the cruise. We are aware, however, that some guests find this process a little embarrassing. Therefore, in response to feedback from past passengers, from Dec 2010 a gratuity charge will be added to guests on board accounts. This will be a set £4 per adult, per day and will be shared between the respective Cabin Stewardess and Restaurant Waiter (and through them to other members of the team).


Embarrassing? Since when has tipping been embarrassing?
In all fairness to Freds the statement does continue by saying you can speak to the purser to vary the amount you wish to pay, so presumably they can be removed but I guess we’ll just have to wait till December to see how easy a process that is.
So what do you think about a British firm imposing gratuities? Are you as shocked as I am or do you think it's about time? Let me know back here.

Happy cruising

1 comment:

  1. Gratuities are entirely at the discretion of the guest. From December 2010, the recommended amount - £4 per adult guest, per day, to be divided equally between the Cabin Stewardesses and Restaurant Waiters (on ‘Full World’ or ‘Around South America’ cruises, the amount reduces to £3 per adult guest, per day) - will be added automatically to guests’ onboard accounts towards the end of the cruise, but can be varied, or cancelled, at Reception, at any point in the cruise, should guests wish to do so. Any guest is at liberty to tip members of staff personally, if they wish to do so, and envelopes for this purpose will be available at Reception.

    Regards

    Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

    ReplyDelete