Recommend me to your friends

Sunday 8 January 2012

Maritime superstitions

I've just finished watching Sky Ones new drama series Treasure Island, (I recorded it over the Christmas break on V+). I mention it as it was quite good and I recommend you all see it, (even if the ending is completely different to the book and nowhere near as good), but it's also the inspiration for todays post.
As you can imagine there was quite a lot of ships, sailing and sailors involved in the story and one of the sailors happened to mention some maritime superstitions he held.
It gave me the idea for todays post; I thought it might be fun if I put together a top ten list of some of the stranger maritime superstitions/customs that sailors/crew/passengers have held over the years.

1. It's unlucky to depart on a cruise/voyage on a Friday as that's the day Jesus was crucified.
2. Black travelling bags are unlucky for a sailor
3. Not sure how I'd manage this one - Avoid red haired people when boarding a ship as they bring bad luck; the only way to avoid this would be to speak to them before they can speak to you.
4. Flowers are unlucky on a ship as they could later be used for a funeral wreath.
5. Scottish law one required all fisherman to wear a solid gold earring that could be used for funeral expenses if they ever fell overboard and were washed ashore.
6. Pouring wine on the deck will bring good luck as it will be seen as a libation to the Gods of the sea.
7. The old saying the sea will have what the sea wants led to many sailors never learning to swim. If they were going to drown they would.
8. dolphins swimming along the side of the ship will bring good luck but killing one will bring very bad luck.
9. It's unlucky to have an umbrella on a ship.
10. It's unlucky to mention the word drowned at sea.

Happy, (lucky), cruising

1 comment:

  1. Well thanks very much for the good cheer :-)
    We are sailing on a Friday, have black bags, my wife has read hair, flowers will be in the cabin. I am not wasting wine for anyone. lol

    How do you expect to sell a cruise with a page like that ^_^

    ReplyDelete