Recommend me to your friends

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Does the nationality of your cruise staff matter?

Unusually for me I actually feel a little awkward talking about this, (I never normally feel awkward talking about anything), but a lot of my passengers spend a lot of time either talking or thinking about this when they are planning their next cruise.
Does the nationality of your cabin crew and waiting staff on your cruise ship make a difference to you?



I only mention it to you all as so many people have mentioned it to me in the past. Personally I've always had great service on all my cruises and on the odd occasion when I didn't I chalked it up to the individual rather than their nationality.
However that being said a lot of people do seem to think it matters and you hear very broad generalisations when you hear people discussing it onboard like;
'Phillapino's are the friendliest';
'Indian staff are the most polite';
'Eastern European staff are normally the surliest';
'Mexican staff can sometime be over friendly';
and so on and so on.
So I'm putting it up for a debate. Do you think one nationality of staff gives better service than another? When you have had bad service have you blamed it on the person or his race? Or when you have had good service have you thanked the person or his race? Do you agree that certain nationalities are better than others on a cruise or is the entire thought slightly racist to you?

Let me know your thoughts here.

Happy cruising.

14 comments:

  1. Your English and Rude

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you can't spell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all, thanks for your comments. I'm not English I'm afraid and as for you're - that's short for you are which wouldn't make any sense in the title.

    Does any one have an opinion about the post, (apart from the fact that I'm English and rude)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you are just asking for feedback your not rude and it doent matter if your english or not.I have been on a few cruises with different cruise lines i fou7nd the worst staff in generial were those on the princess ships all they seemed to want to do was talk between them selves(.Mixed nationality) the staff on the old p&0 ship were excellent (Indian) and very hard workers also the philopinas people are excellent and wanted to please I am not being at all rasist just speaking as we found the survice

    ReplyDelete
  5. But is that down to the way the staff are trained or their race? I'm not sure you can generalise one group of people as better/worse than another

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just love to see the Goan waiters ,and have lots of banter and always ask for a Feni & Limca which is a local drink and I love it ,obviously they dont ,I suggest they mayt have a bottle in there cabin to which I could have a tot ,but they love it when they hear you have had 3 memorable holidays there and say where you have been ,even they having worked in hotels we stayed in.
    Find all the staff generally very good .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just back from Celebrity Eclipse. Our Ukrainian waitresses couldn't have been more friendly or efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a very regular cruise having completed over 60 cruises, and I 100% agree with your findings. I personally would not employ any eastern European staff; the majority seem to have been indoctrinated into the old communist way of thinking that all men are equal! Sorry but I am paying your wages and I want some decent service. You missed out one group, that is the Turks, self confident and very eficent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a first time cruiser I can only comment on the cruise I have just been on. The staff was made up of every nationality you could think of and I couldn't fault any of them. I'm not sure that the debate as to the friendliest nationality has legs because you would only employ people who would fit your criteria of sevice anyway and it wouldn't matter where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It doesn't matter where they come from as most people are nice if you are nice to them, but I do like the Philippino people, not just because they are good at their jobs, but because they are so happy and always have a friendly response.
    Also the Indian staff who are a little reserved until they get to know you also often turn out to be so polite and very friendly people.
    Far different from some of the, couldn't care less attitudes of workers in our own service industries, if only they took the same pride in their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS
    This is an interesting and valid thread, and in no way racist, so if you want to be rude, don't hide behind anonymity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Think this is a valid thread. Every cruiser will have an opinion as to the best cruise staff, however, in my long period of cruising I have found that it is not necessarily down to the nationality, though there are exceptions. If you really want to know what great cruise staff are like, then I suggest you sail with HAL, positively the best there is out there. As for Cunard(recently on the QE) their White Star service is now, regretably, shades of Grey. But I do echo one comment regarding eastern europeans. They really should stick to their rivers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All races have good and bad and sometimes it is the way you treat them, most staff on a cruise ship are desperate to keep their jobs so tend to always be pleasant. I think eastern europeans find the english humour difficult to understand but we must also remember these poeole are away from their families for 6 months at a time, walk a mile in their shoes and remember its nice to be important but more important to be nice

    ReplyDelete