Recommend me to your friends

Thursday 8 March 2012

Age discrimination travel insurance

Anyone who's been reading my blog right from the very beginning will know that in a previous life I used to sell insurance. So I know more than most how unreasonable some insurance companies can be. However even I think this latest piece of news from the weird and wonderful world of insurance is low, even for insurance companies. And I'm used to it!
According to a recent report by the A.B.I, (Association of British Insurers),  anyone over the age of 65 may be facing a price hike on their travel insurance premiums of up to 90%!!!!!!!
This is particularly worrying in the cruising world as so many of our passengers are of retirement age.
As with all things that have anything to do with insurance, there isn't a lot people will be able to do about this either as you can't cruise without insurance.
We here at www.cruise.co.uk do sell a cruise specific travel insurance and we'll be trying to keep the premiums as low as we can but ultimately our prices are bound to the insurance companies rates and they're the ones with the final say on them. My best advice is to not despair and just keep ringing around if you get a scary travel insurance quote. If you keep trying you should eventually get a price to your likeing but feel free to give me a call for an insurance quote if you want.

The A.B.I say this price hike will be down to a number of different reasons.
  • Foreign hospitals are charging more treatment when you're abroad.
  • The increase in unfavourable exchange rates is also a big factor and....
  • The cost of flights means it costs a lot more to repatriate someone who falls sick abroad. 
But even considering that 90% is a massive increase.
Have you ever fallen sick abroad? What was your experience like? Are you over 65 and worried about this price increase? Air your views here.

Happy cruising

No comments:

Post a Comment