Recommend me to your friends

Wednesday 12 January 2011

The Commodore and I

As you all know, all our clients here at Cruise.co.uk are intelligent, sophisticated and polite people who appreciate all the hardwork we put in behind the scenes, but as in all industries, we very occasionally get some one ring us up who isn't quite so polite. This happened to me several days ago and I thought I'd share it all with you.
A lady rang me up looking for a balcony cabin onboard the QM2. We had several cabins available but she wouldn't book one unless I could guarantee that she wouldn't have fraternise, (her word), with anyone in an inside cabin!
I actually thought she was joking to start with but when it turned out she was serious I obviously said there was nothing I could do to help. To which I got this comment......

"Do you know who I am?"

It turns out that she had 'personaly' met Commodore Bernard Warner, posted on the QM2 but Commodore of the entire Cunard fleet, and so thought she was entitled to this now. Unfortunately for her it turns out she wasn't the only person who had met the Commodore so I thought today I'd tell you all about the time I was lucky enough to meet him.

It was onboard a recent mini-cruise on the QM2 when I was given the opportunity to meet him. One of the Cunard reps we deal with was onboard as well and she kindly arranged it for me. I say kindly as sadly this opportunity is rarely offered anymore due to increased security precautions, so I really did feel very lucky. Below are some of the pictures I took of the bridge.

The Commodore himself - Bernard Warner. He seemed a really nice man, very polite, but obviously as the QM2 was about to pull out of port he was also very busy, so I only got to meet him briefly. After that I was asked to stand in one of the corners of the bridge deck, out of the way, where I had the tremendous opportunity to watch the QM2 sail out!

Anyone who has ever seen the QM2 will recognise where this shot is taken from. For those that haven't seen her, as in most cruise ships, the bridge deck extends out over each side of the ship to let the crew navigate better when leaving port. Below me was about seven inches of deck and then nothing but a straight drop down into the ocean.

This was a bit of a weird sensation, being able to look down through the floor straight to the sea.



The front of the QM2 as seen from the front. I fell honoured to have been given the opportunity to see this beautiful ship from this position.

You'll have to excuse the next few pictures as no flash photography was allowed whilst we were leaving port. I really couldn't believe how much equipment there was on the bridge, with the crew all walking around speaking in hushed tones, (we weren't supposed to talk at all as she pulled out).

Hmmmm, it's not an electric chair, I can tell you that much, but there wasn't anyone around who wasn't really busy whom I could ask who sat here. If you know, answers on a postcard to the usual address please.

Here's a bit of gossip for you - The Commodores potted plants!

I know it's not very clear, but if you look closely you can just make out the tug boat pulling us out. I couldn't believe it standing there, watching this tiny little tug pull out the giant QM2, but there it was.

If any one else has ever met the Commodore, or the Captains of any other cruise ships, it would be great to here about your experiences here. 

Happy Cruising.

No comments:

Post a Comment