Recommend me to your friends

Wednesday 5 January 2011

On Board Credit for the over 55's

A lot of my colleagues have found this quite funny but I think it's a really cool offer and I'm interested in hearing back about what some of my silver haired readers think of it.



MSC cruises have just announced an offer for 2011 for all their Baltic and Fjordic cruises.
If you are over 55 you will automatically, free, get some extra on board credit for your cruise. The OBC, (On Board Credit), will be equal to the combined age of the first two passengers in a cabin up to a maximum of £150 per cabin.

So for instance:
If you are 65 and your wife is 56 you will receive an extra £121 OBC.
I think it would be quite fun sitting down at dinner and joking with the people who received an extra £6 OBC than you because their combined age was that little bit higher than yours.

I know it's a gimmick and I know it's a bit silly but I still really like the idea. It's a bit of fun, you can a bit of a joke winding up other people you are traveling with;
"You might have an extra £3 OBC but I'm 3 years younger!"
And it's something for nothing; the minimum amount of OBS two 55yr olds would receive would be £110. Which is always nice.
But what do you think? A nice bit of fun with some extra OBC thrown in free or a bit of a waste of time that you wouldn't really be bothered about?
Let me know back here.

Happy Cruising.

5 comments:

  1. I do recall one line, Celebrity ?, offering a reduction on the full price of a cruise equal to the pax's age. I wonder if they'd pay my 103 year old friend to go on a cruise with them.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do companies prefer to sail with EMPTY cabins rather than waive (no pun intended) single supplement charges????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why an offer for just the over 55's. Although I understand that cruises have historically been something preferred by the older generation, the cruise lines need to clock on that they also need to provide incentives for other age groups wishing to attend.

    The above incentive would deter me from booking a cruise with that cruiseline for 2 reasons:

    1. A seperate passenger who is in potentially the same cabin grade as me gets money for absolutely nothing. (although even if they were to give me and my partner on board credit it would only total £56 anyway!) It would be good to be part of an incentive that covers all.

    2. I am assuming that due to the incentive that the cruise line would only offer entertainment and facilities suited to the over 55's.

    I am looking forward to setting sail with Independence of the seas, whom I believe similar to NCL have realised that they need to cater for ALL passengers, from disabled elderly right down to toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adrian - firstly great choice of ship in the Independence, by far one of my favourite at sea.
    I agree that it's a bit unfair the under 55's don't get this but you're wrong about the ages. The impression I'm getting is quite the opposite; there's too many young coupls and MSC are trying to encourage a wider demographic

    ReplyDelete
  5. what about the S/S charges get a grip it,s these that need to be amended if you going to cater for the over 55,s. (we just want a fair deal)

    ReplyDelete