Recommend me to your friends

Friday 21 January 2011

Do you see the world in terms of your job?

As I get older, (I turn 30 this year), I notice more and more that I'm view the world in terms of my job.
It's worrying because I know both my Dad and Grandad used to do this. They were builders/roofers and I could guarantee that if we were watching a movie then within 30 seconds of an explosion I'd here a comment along the lines of:
"That's gonna cost a fortune to rebuild" or "they won't be able to fix that, they're gonna have to knock it down and start again."
It always used to annoy me as a child so I always promised myself I wouldn't do this but last night I found myself doing the exact same thing.



I was watching a movie that I'd just bought on DVD and found myself narrating right the way through it.
The movie was called the Brothers Bloom; I don't know if you've seen it but you should definitely give it ago, especially if like me you're a keen cruiser.
For everyone who hasn't seen it it's about two brothers, who are confidence tricksters, trying to con a rich millionairess. The plot however jumps around from European city, to European city, and at one point they end up on a trans-Atlantic crossing aboard a cruise ship.
It was like I couldn't help myself though:
"That ships not big enough for trans-Atlantic crossings"
"That's not Prague, it's Romania"
"I've been there, if they turn left there's a great cafe they could visit"
It was  like I was watching the movie with my Dad, and even though I knew I was doing it I couldn't help myself!
For any keen cruisers it's a nice movie to watch as it has some great destinations you can check out, St Petersburg, Prague, (actually Romania), Montenegro, and Mexico as well as a cruise ship that I couldn't identify but looked decidedly six star. It was also nice to see a cruise ship in a Hollywood movie without it hitting an iceberg, capsizing or being attacked by terrorists.
It's also quite a good 'caper' movie for any non cruise movie watchers out there and is definitely my top movie recommendation of the week.

So, back to the point of this post, what do my regular readers think? Am I just getting old and slowly turning into my Dad, or does everyone view the world in terms of their jobs.
Let me know what you think here.

Happy Cruising

3 comments:

  1. James, everbody turns into their Mam or Dad. Just accept it!

    I think you probably do view the world in terms of your job, the job or career definitely becomes part of your identity.

    I was a careers adviser for years and cringed when I saw them portrayed on film or TV. It was always a negative stereotype. The worst example was on the film Kes. I often comment that such and such a character could never have done that job because.....

    I also couldn't help asking people I met "What made you choose that as a career?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there's no hope for me then? Thanks Winifred I can always count on you to make me feel better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what parents and careers advisers are for James. Much less stressful to accept your fate.

    Resistance is futile!

    ReplyDelete