Recommend me to your friends

Thursday 28 July 2011

Free upgrades on a cruise ship

I've always liked to think I'm quite a fair person, so when I took a call the other day from a passenger who wanted to complain about a cruise I'd booked for him I was obviously concerned. As it turns out the complaint was about P&O cruises, not me, but it really did leave me gobsmacked.
I really wasn't sure what to say to the passenger. Have a read and see what you think.............

Before I get to the complaint I need to explain a little about P&O's terms and conditions.
When you book a cruise with P&O, (or Cunard and Princess), you are given the option of opting in or out of their free upgrade scheme.
Simply put it states that if a cabin becomes available that is in a better grade than yours the cruise line will upgrade you to that cabin free of charge. So far so good. Where the small print comes in is that you won't find out about the upgrade until check in, (or a few days before the cruise sometimes).
It's guaranteed to be in a better grade than your cabin but it could be anywhere on the ship and because, by then, the cruise line will have re sold your old cabin, you can't swap back if you don't like the position.
I explain this to all my customers before asking them if they wish to be entered into the scheme. In all fairness most people like to 'go for it'. Who wouldn't like to pay for an outside cabin and end up with a balcony.
Well as it turns out one of my passengers didn't.

I had booked him an inside cabin and explained about the upgrades with P&O. He confirmed he was happy to be entered for an upgrade, after all what did he have to lose?
Now remember he asked for, paid for and received an inside cabin.
When he arrived at check in he was given the happy news that he had been upgraded, free of charge, to an outside cabin, on a higher deck, in a midships position. Upon entering the cabin he found it was a picture window, but the view was obscured by a lifeboat.
Now I would still class that as a pretty good upgrade. Slightly disappointing that he didn't get an unobstructed view maybe but miles better than the original inside cabin as he now got some natural daylight; right? Wrong.
He was absolutely disgusted by this upgrade and wanted to know why he had ended up with an obstructed view.

Now is this just me? Is an obstructed view really worse than an inside cabin? The cruise lines certainly don't think so. I've never thought so. Would you have been happy with this upgrade? Or would you have complained as well?

Happy cruising

15 comments:

  1. its worse in my opinion! cruise lines should make all them interior cabins because that must be like fraud? they pay for the view but don't get it? kinda his fault for agreeing but kinda the lines fault for obstructing view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had paid for an outside cabin with an unobsructed view and was upgraded to a bigger cabin with an obstucted view I would be really ticked off, I don't know if this could actually though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind in the slightest! Mostly the views are sea, and when you're in port then you can go up on deck and look outside. The view isn't as important as daylight as far as I'm concerned. I'm a bad sleeper so if I'm in an inside cabin and I wake up I have no idea whether it's the middle of the night or time to get up. I have to shine a light on my watch. With daylight coming in the window (or not!) I can tell straight away. All I can say is: some people are never satisfied. I'd cross them off your mailing list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definatly classed as an upgrade from an interior to an outside obstructive view cabin. When booking an outside cabin the rate you pay depends on the grade of cabin i.e the cheapest is obstructive, the dearest a mid ship higher deck with large picture window. You are told of this(or should be)by you travel advisor and pay the going rate. I personally think that the gentleman was quite lucky as we have cruised 10 times and never had an upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the pricing structure an obstructed view outside cabin is more expensive than an inside cabin. So P & O are giving him an upgrade. Whats the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont see any grounds for complaint in this case as the original cabin booked was inside - ie no view of the outside world. Also midships is usually considered the best bet too. I alwasys select "no upgrade" in case I'm moved to an aft cabin from the midships one I normally choose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have often in the past booked an obstructed view to save money, and it is far better than inside. We have always had a good view from at least half the window. The only downside is when crew are cleaning the tender outide our window. Dont wear skimpy nightwear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this person probably would have complained even if he had been given the captains cabin,any type of upgrade from an inside to outside cabin which I did not have to pay extra for would make my holiday,its natural light and sunshine through the window as you open the curtains before coffee and bickies which is the main reason for the window. any views you get from the crows nest whilst sipping a G&T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having been on P & 0 where we booked our balcony cabin and saw on the plan where it was and all was well. That is, until we arrived and found we had been 'upgraded'!. Our cabin had a four foot high METAL BALCONY MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SIT AND WATCH THE VIEW. You could not see anything from inside the cabin. I have an Autistic son and HAVE to have a balcony to keep him occupied. \no one on reception would help and the only person to see was booking future cruises and these people had priority with her time - which was about 3 hours per day. I saw this woman on the last evening of the 2 week cruise! What an organisation!!!!!! To add insult to injury our cabin was directly over the Theatre making impossible to sleep until it was silent. P & 0 never again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We always book inside cabin mid ship. Never take upgrade as you never know what cabin you are in. It could end up at front or back of ship.

    I dont sympathise with him he gets to know these things when he has sailed a few times. Stick to the inside cabins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sound's like a typical moaning P&O customer, dangle a carrot and for them and you end up being the donkey!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kevo

    Call us lucky if you like but we've just had our first ever taste of cruising albeit only a two night taster onboard P&O's Oceana, this trip was booked well in advance and an inside cabin was paid for and allocated while opting into the upgrade offer, months later i called of our e-tickets to find the cabin number did not match the number which was on our booking confirmation a quick call to P&O confirmed an upgrade to an outside cabin with no viewing restrictions.

    Thank You P&O!!

    I would agree with other comments that any outside cabin full view or not would be better than an inside?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite simply if you think it will be a problem don't go in to the upgrade scheme. If you go in to it and get moved it's tough, you agreed to it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is obvious there is a trap somewhere whyever would a Cruise Line disturb a booking in the first place.No, its because they perhaps sold spare berths in his original Cabin.The trade just cannot be trusted anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not a trap, rather than let the cruise ship sail with empty cabins the cruise lines upgrade people from the cheaper cabins and then re sell them. It's meant to be a situation that benifits everyone

    ReplyDelete