Recommend me to your friends

Friday 29 July 2011

Cruise lines to pull out of Greece

I've been hearing some worrying gossip recently that several major cruise lines are getting fed up of the disruptions in Greece and are threatening to pull all their cruises to Greece unless the Greek government does something to resolve the situation. We've all seen Greece in the news recently; what with European bail outs and austerity measures but it's actually the taxi drivers that are providing the most trouble for the cruise lines.
I can't blame them for their frustration (the taxi drivers that is). Greece can't be a nice place to live right now, but the whole situation seems to me a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
If Greece is ever going to come out of it's current financial problems then the tourist trade is going to play a pivotal role in that and if the Greek government continue to sit back and allow taxi drivers and other groups to blockade ports, stopping cruise passengers embarking and disembarking and generally disrupting the holidays they've paid good money for then the cruise lines will make good on their threat.
I hope the situation does get resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved, I really do. I can't imagine looking at Mediterranean itineraries that don't take in Greece or any of it's islands but if the situation continues this is a very real possibility.
I'll keep you informed about any further developments I hear, but until then.....

Happy cruising

No comments:

Post a Comment