Recommend me to your friends

Monday 2 August 2010

August

I’ve been doing a series of blogs for awhile now on what to do during a particular month if you missed out on that last minute cruise deal. Included have been some of the wackier days out/festivals that can be found around our dear old Island. However I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite so weird as the Bog snorkelling championships being held in Wales this month, not quite the Oasis of the Seas I’ll admit but well worth a visit me thinks if you’ve nothing else on.

Bog Snorkelling Championships,


The aim is to swim two lengths of the 60-yard Waen Rhydd peat bog with flippers and snorkel in the fastest time. There are different categories including juniors, fancy dress, women's and men's.
You could make a day of it with the family, or if your feeling really brave even enter yourself!





Scarecrow Festival, Kettlewell, Yorks

Life-size scarecrows are made and displayed around the village by local people in early to mid-August. “A hugely popular event”, says the quote on their website. Not so sure about that myself, but I suppose if you were down that way anyway it might be worth a look.

St Bartholomew's Bun Race St Bartholomew's Hospital,

On St. Bartholomew's Day, 24th August, children run around the church of St. Bart's. After completing the circuit they are given a bun and the adults are given a biscuit especially baked for the occasion. Not the most exciting event, but it is for charity so if you are local I’d recommend turning out to support the kiddies.

Again not great compared to that cruise deal you just missed, but hopefully enough to tide you over till your next sailing.



Happy Cruising

No comments:

Post a Comment