Recommend me to your friends

Monday 21 March 2011

Is Sorrento a city or a town?

Help me settle an argument. This was bouncing around the office yesterday and we're fairly divided on the answer.......
Is Sorrento a town or a city?

The people who have traveled there are adamant it's a town, they say it's not big enough to be a city and all the travel brochures/web descriptions etc refer to it as town.
But.....
The rest of us are convinced it's a city. They point out it's got a Cathedral, (Sorrento Cathedral), and, my own little coup de grace, I noticed a hotel there called the Hotel Sorrento City.

I've checked and in the UK the definition of a city is a settlement settled by Royal Charter, whilst in Italy, and this is where the arguments occur, the 'normal' definition is a settlement with a Cathedral........ which Sorrento has.
So what do you think? Have you ever been to Sorrento? Do you live in Sorrento? And do you/did you refer to it as a city or a town. Feel free to post your ideas here, just make sure you say why you think it's a city/town.
Thanks in advance!

And happy Cruising

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I think sorrento is city. Because its have lots of facility and after read your article I think Its city. You share nice picture.

    ReplyDelete