Recommend me to your friends

Friday 4 March 2011

Should I book a cruise with MSC?

We've had a lot of fantastic deals with MSC recently, with a range of free flights, onboard credit and cheap cruise prices, so as you can imagine I've been recommending MSC lately to a lot of people. The problem is that MSC has somehow gotten itself a bit of a bad name with the British public so that a lot of people weren't too happy with the idea of cruising with them.
But why is that?

The trouble, I think, stems from some bad reviews they've had online, but I don't think a lot of the reviews are fair to this cruise line. I personally think MSC is a great brand, and whilst I haven't had a chance to cruise with them yet would definitely do so in the future.

The important thing to remember with MSC is that they're an Italian owned and run cruise line. This means you're going to get a completely different experience to one you might have onboard a British cruise ship, P&O for example.
The dining will be based on a Mediterranean theme, so may be served later than you'd be used to and will obviously be heavily influenced by Italian and Mediterranean cooking styles.
English won't be the first language onboard. Announcements will be made in English, but only after other languages.
There will be a much higher percentage of people of different nationalities onboard.
The entertainment won't rely on 'speaking roles' so will probably be based on something like Cirque de Soleil.
The ships themselves are also very nicely designed and furnished, the problems with the reviews come because MSC can offer very cheap last minute deals so a lot of unscrupulous travel agents will just book these cruises for their customers without warning them of the above. It's actually quite funny but if you read the reviews with this in mind you can see the people who went expecting an English cruise ship didn't enjoy themselves, but the people who had been told, or already knew, what MSC were all about had a fantastic time.

The best advice I can give you is that MSC are a great cruise line, with great ships, food and entertainment available who quite often offer very cheap prices and unusual itinerarys but you have to make sure you're going to enjoy the Italian atmosphere. If you think you might I'm sure you'd have a great cruise. If you think it's not for you then, in all fairness, it's probably not.
Have any of my readers ever cruised with MS?. Do you agree with the above? What are your thoughts on MSC? Let me hear back from you here.

Happy Cruising

4 comments:

  1. Charles Roberts4 March 2011 at 23:55

    You have never cruised with them yet you endorse the 'brand' with all the enthusiasm one could expect from an used car salesman! I fully agree that if your idea of formal dress is scruffy jeans, or you have no social skills and no understanding of basic good manners, if you like a turgid, rehashed 'show' as a preclude to 'The Bingo' and lastly if you can enjoy lukewarm food served in coagulated grease (I lived in Portugal for 10 years I KNOW southern European food and this isn't it!) Then you will thoroughly enjoy yourselves on these floating motorway service stations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles. First of all thank you for your comments; I appreciate all feedback, good or bad. As to the points raised
    1. As to me sounding like a used car salesman, if you look to the right of this page you can see testimonials from over 360 happy customers who have all found me to be friendly, professional and above all honest.
    2. As to you not enjoying MSC, as I said in the blog. They’re not for everyone. It would be a boring old world if we were all the same.
    3. As to me having never sailed with MSC before I can see your point. It does sound strange to be endorsing a cruise line I've never sailed with. However, my job is cruises, I do nothing but speak to people all day about cruises and this blog is an amalgamation of all their different thoughts, comments and opinions.

    Not all cruise lines are for all people but I would and will be happy to book with MSC myself.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I travelled on the MSC Fantasia, beautiful ship. The Italian food is to die for,the menus wonderful,just up my street, would travel with them again just for the food. Disorganisation at the port of Genoa is an understatement. 12 days for £650 in a balcony cabin is brillant and very good value as children only pay certain fees. MSC also are very good as they offerred military personnel cruises at half price and they donate money to the children in Brazil who have no homes and we all donated €1 optional of course.We did stop going to the theatre in the end,the multi lingual comparing for 30 minutes drove us mad. No free water which upset most people and at €3.11 who can blame them.Smoking policy need to be addressed I would like them to have more 14 nights cruises but as most cruises are going up by 10% 1st April MMSC is certainly value for money. Give it a try, I did and was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my first ever cruise on MSC Orchestra in Dec 2009 - 18 nights Italy to Brazil. Never having cruised before wasn't sure what to expect and loved it. Have since done 4 other cruises inc Royal Clipper, QM2 & QE and about to go on MSC Poesia so I think I can say a bit of variety. I have so far loved all the cruises for what they are. I think that is the secret of all holidays and especially cruise ships - accept them and enjoy them for what they are - all are different. I do agree that if you are looking for dress codes to be upheld and manners to be the same on MSC as on Cunard you are going to be dissapointed but then MSC isn't Cunard, is it? As for food, I found the restaurants on MSC absolutely fine but I didn't eat in the buffet so cannot comment.
    Happy Cruising!

    ReplyDelete