Recommend me to your friends

Friday 20 May 2011

American vs British service

One of my colleagues recently wrote a post about how much better the service was on an American cruise ship as opposed to a British one, (surprise surprise she's American herself). If you're interested you can read her thoughts on the matter by clicking here.
Obviously my patriotic pride wasn't going to just sit back and take that lying down though so I thought for todays post I'd explain to you all why the service on a British cruise ship and by extension British service in general, is so much better than the service you can expect from our Colonial cousins.

The first point point to be considered is that American gratuities are automatically added. They claim that because you're paying for good service you'll get it. Well from what I remember of American waitress's that's not necessarily true but even if it was when I get good service I expect it because the person serving me genuinely wants to give good service, not just because they think there might be a financial reward at the end of it for them.
The second point my colleague made was about British service in the retail stores. She said she was fed up of going into shops and no one asking if she need help.  Now most American retail staff are paid on a commission basis so within seconds of entering the store you're accosted by four or five different people all looking to make some money. Where as with British shopping no one bothers you unless you ask, at which point their more than happy to help; much more civilized I think.
The upshot being if you want to pay for someone to pretend to be nice to you, when they don't really care one way or the other, feel free to rely on American service. If you want genuinely friendly and sincere service from someone that actually wants to be there and to help it has to be British service all the way.

Rule Britannia!

4 comments:

  1. I agree, the service that I have had in America has always been false, and no better than in England, indeed we have had far better and more genuinely friendlier service in Greece, Spain and Italy.
    We arrived at an American hotel on a pre-cruise stay having travelled all day we first went to eat, when we had finished the waitress cleared away and held out her hand for a tip, I explained we had no dollars having just arrived and had booked the meal to the room, she went over to both the other tables and said in a loud voice no tips over there.

    A few days later we ate at the local pier restaurant, having paid the bill we left about $6 tip for the waiter, who’s jaw nearly hit his boots when he saw the tip, he than pointedly ignored us.
    Evidently we should have given a percentage of the meal, but why? The meal was nothing special, and neither was the service.

    This tradition of constantly angling or is it begging for tips? Spoils America, and I for one am not in any hurry to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert et al. There is a reason you don't get service - you simply don't pay for it. Right or wrong, in the US and many other countries, it is not only custom to tip, but the waiter relies on the tip as part of their income. Yes, you do leave a percentage of your charge, minimum 15% of the bill as tip; normally 18 - 20% is standard anymore. I live in Orlando, although travel to the UK frequently, as well as have cruised with many from the UK, and they seem to think since their culture (Aussies too) doesn't tip, they don't need to tip in the US nor on a ship. I don't know what your bill was, say it was $100, then you should have given 15-20 tip. I think alot of times waiters see British and Aussie people coming and give them service based on how they think they will tip; which is usually right-on; very little to none!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fed up with the US culture on tipping. Wages should be sufficient and tipping should be seen as an extra,. If the waiters expect the tip as part of their wages rather than as an extra, service gets worse, why don't restaurants just increase prices and wages by 20% and include service?
    I once hosted a meal for 10 people. The bill arrived and I told the waitress that it should include a 15% discount as we were residents of a local hotel that had negotiated the deal.
    The waitress replied that as I had not told her before the bill was produced it was "too late", so I paid the bill but obviously left no tip.
    I was physically accosted and prevented from leaving the restaurant whilst the manager was summoned, he said I 'had' to leave a tip!
    I told him to reprint the bill with the correct discount and give that to the waitress. Cheeky gits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to agrew with the 15 - 20 % rule but not anymore. It is not my fault the establishment does not pay civil wages to the staff nor do I know what they are paid.
    If you want me back on a regular basis then treat me like a guest but depending where I'm at I'll tip around 10-15 % and only on exceptional service would I take it above .
    In Canada all staff are paid at least a minimum wage set by each province which runs about $8 -$11 but where I live we also pay a 12% tax which is on top of a service tax for liquor
    and some times the retaurent based on size of the party elects to place a service charge on the full bill.
    I used to wonder about people who calulated off the liquor price but now I see the light , a bottle of wine requires the same service regardless of price.
    Would I leave without a tip in Canada or the USA , rarely but leave me to decide if you rate 10- 20 % when its just myself or us as a couple.
    We are not made of money and if you tell us not to bother coming out if we can not place a tip then fine as you will not have a job when no customers appear.
    On a cruise ship, staff though have no control if you will tip as expected which means the expectation from the sharing will change so they must ensure you get good service.
    I do not believe our American friend (TA) is right about low wage equals good service and I agree I do not want a smile when it is not meant as I've seen too much of being ignored if you do not seem to buy.
    Say hello, specials and tell me where you might be if I need help otherwise let me browse in peace. I will even avoid the so called greeters, not their fault.
    One store we shop in, as soon as you enter they say hello and if you need help , just ask then they leave you alone, nice.

    ReplyDelete