Recommend me to your friends

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Cunards Grills - Another name for first and second class?

I recently wrote a post about all the different benefits you can enjoy when you book a Princess or Queens Grill onboard a Cunard ship, (if you're interested you can read the post by clicking here). Ever since I wrote it though it's been praying on my mind a little. Are the Cunard Grills just a higher grade of cabin, as available on all other cruises lines or are they a sneaky form class system ie first, second and steerage?



Obviously all cruise lines offer top graded suites with extra benefits but there aren't many of them that go so far as to segregate people into different restaurants and waiting rooms.
Cunard Grills customers get priority embarkation at the port, with a separate check in area, so they can just go waltzing past the rest of the customers. They get a different, superior restaurant with food supplied by a different kitchen, and many of the Grill rooms even have private butlers in the suites. I don't know how you feel, but I think I'd feel really awkward having dinner in my cabin, (no matter it's size), with someone waiting in the corner to serve me.
As well as all that Grills customers even get a better level of quality bedding and toiletries in their rooms compared to all the other passengers on the ship.
As I've said, I know other cruise lines offer some benefits that are quite similar and if I'd paid that much extra for a suite I'd want something a bit special as well. It just seems to me that Cunard are a little more blatant about it than other cruise lines. They still have the three tier system just like they did a hundred and fifty years ago and as I've said those higher tier passengers don't have to mingle with the other passengers if they don't want to. All they've done is to rename the classes Queens, Princess and Britannia.

So what do you think? In this day and age does this bother you, or you happy with the way things are? Are Cunard operating a three tier class system or do you think they're just doing the same thing as everyone else.

Happy cruising.

1 comment:

  1. Hi James, interesting item. I think all cruise lines have a similar 'pecking order'. Most leverage it through the loyalty programme with priority check-in, different eating options and lounges.

    I think there are very few suites that offer a personal butler but having treated us to Princess Grill last year it was lovely to have our own table in a restaurant where we could eat anytime as well as a lounge to relax in near the cabin.

    Is the difference worth the price? For us meer mortals, probably not. But to the pop stars, royalty and executives it's probably a luxury worth spending on.

    ReplyDelete